For the handyman, staple guns are quite essential. A staple gun or staple is a handheld device that is being used for driving staples or heavy metals into the wood, plastic, or even stones. This device has various use in that; it is also used to affix a variety of materials, including insulation, house wrap, roofing, wiring, carpeting, upholstery, and hobby and craft materials.
This device is also referred to as a trigger tracker. Staple guns are quite powerful, in that they are easy to operate and enhances productivity for staple jobs. It is also on records that they are responsible for about 37,000 emergency visits annually. The staple gun can either be manually powered or electrically powered.
The trigger tracker injuries are mostly home construction accidents in that they are found mostly during residential constructions, mostly during household constructions such as framing, sheath work, roofing, or even finishing.
A study carried out among apprentices of carpentry; it is discovered that for every five apprentices, two get injured by the staple gun during their four years if apprenticeship, 1 out of 5 is being injured twice, while 1 out of 10 gets injured three or more times.
These reports showed that most reported cases of staple gun injury were to the hand and fingers, while a quarter of injuries cause structural damages to tendons, joints nerves, and bones, including to the legs, knees, thigh, foot, and toes.
While also the least reported staple gun injury is the injuries to the forearm, or wrist, head, and neck. There have also been reported cases of the spinal cord, head, neck eyes, and internal organ injuries all caused by the staple gun.
Given the hazard mentioned above caused by staple guns, it is very essential to take safety measures while making use of the device in other to prevent injuries and even death too as staple guns if not properly used can pose a threat to life.
SAFETY MEASURES ( THE DO’S)
Staple gun safety starts with understanding the various trigger mechanisms. The following are the needed information for safety while using a staple gun:
# KNOWING HOW TRIGGERS DIFFER
Staple guns rely on two primary controls which are finger trigger and a contact safety tip which happens to be located at the nose of the gun. Trigger contrivances can differ based on the way by which the devices are activated, i.e, it can be held in the squeezed position to let out multiple staples, or it must be squeezed and released for each staple to be let out. Combining these two techniques which in return lets out four kinds of triggers. Some staple guns have selective trigger switch by which an individual can choose among two or more trigger systems. The various trigger mechanism is given below with how such controls are activated. By which the full sequential is the safest technique.
# READING AND UNDERSTANDING SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
It is quite essential to read the safety precaution of any given device before use. Before using the staple gun one has to understand each of the stipulated safety measures or directions for use. In understanding device usage, these are the following steps for safety while using a staple gun.
- Efforts must be taken to know your staple gun, and how it works.
- You must know what causes staple injuries and how to avoid them.
- One should also have proper knowledge on how to properly load, operate, and fire a staple gun.
- Making sure one by one knows how to work with the staples guns in certain uncomfortable positions
- Knowing how and what to do when the staple gun malfunctions.
- Ensure to follow the manufacturer’s guide handy and close to every site of work.
# INSPECTING TOOL BEFORE EACH USE
Another safety does make sure you inspect the device before each use, checking the power sources to ensure proper functionality. If any malfunction is noticed, it should be serviced or repaired immediately.
# KEEPING HARMS AWAY FORM GUN NOSE
This involves making sure one’s arms are far from the staple discharge point, thereby reducing the probability of an injury occurring. It is recommended one uses clamps rather than hands as being employed by most people.
# HAVING THE SAFETY GEAR ON
While using the staple gun, one must ensure he is putting on the appropriate gear for safety such as;
- Safety glasses for eye protection. (Our pick: NoCry Over-Spec Safety Glasses)
- Earmuffs or plugs for ear protection. (Our pick: 3M 1100 Foam Ear Plugs)
# KNOWING WHEN TO UNPLUG THE AIR COMPRESSOR
Making sure air compressor are unplugged at the following instances;
- While moving up and down a ladder or stairs.
- Importantly When removing jammed staples
- While handing the gun to another person on-site with you.
- While performing servicing or maintenance on the staple gun.
- While the gun is not in use.
# PROVIDING FIRST AID MEDICAL TREATMENT
It is essential that first aid treatment is given to anyone injured while using the staple gun, as one has to be wary of the hazard the staple gun can pose if not properly used hence first aid box should be close to the site of its use.
DON’TS OF STAPLE GUNS
Having looked at the do’s of gun use, it would only be fair also to take a look at the don’ts invariably telling what is not expected while the staple gun is in use or while maintenance in ongoing on it.
The following are the don’ts :
- Don’t walk while your finger is on the trigger and never use the gun with your non-dominant
- Don’t drag the staple gun from its nose and lower it from
- Don’t disable the safety features while in use or after
- Don’t point the staple gun upwards while trying to service a jammed staple gun.
- Never use stable guns as a hammer
The staple gun and its essentials cannot be overemphasized in that; the staple gun is an essential device that can make work faster and neater, while also putting in mind its dangers and hazards.